Smart – яркий;
Conversely – наоборот;
Poverty – бедность;
Allow – позволять;
Gorgeous – великолепный;
Sumptuary – регулирующий расходы;
Decency – приличие;
Modesty – скромность;
Affect – влиять;
Gimmick – трюк;
Shoulder – плечо;
Fabric – ткань;
Gender – род.
Answer the following questions.
1. What are the clothes?
2. What influences on the choice of clothes?
3. What is an extravagant style on your opinion?
4. Are there any standards of clothing?
5. Do the rules of clothing change from one culture to another?
6. What does a minority of people reject and why?
Choose the answer, which you think first best according to the text.
1. Clothes are one of the very first things we
a) want to buy;
b) imagine Read and learn the following words and word combinations from the text. when we hear people;
c) notice when we see people;
d) wear to be in vogue.
2. The clothes give out a message about
a) our religion and nationality;
b) social status;
c) our religion, nationality, age, gender;
d) our mood .
3. If we dress stylish clothing, we give a positive impression to everyone,
a) that we are rich;
b) that we have a good taste in clothing;
c) that we don’t take care about somebody’s opinion;
d) even if we are not rich.
4. In some countries people’s clothing use to be regulated
a) by law;
b Read and learn the following words and word combinations from the text.) by parents’ opinion;
c) by national traditions;
d) by dress-code.
5. The norm in Ancient Egypt was women’s wearing
a) long skirts;
b) bare-breasted clothes;
Make sure you know the meanings of these words and match them with their definitions.
Dress, gender, ambition, wealth, status, poverty, fabric, style, generation, fashion, gimmick, taste.
1. a piece of clothing worn by a girl or woman. It covers the body from the shoulders to the knees or below;
2. the fact of being male or female;
3. something that you want to do or achieve very much;
4. a lot of Read and learn the following words and word combinations from the text. money, property that somebody owns; the state of being rich;
5. a legal position of a person, group or country;
6. a state of being poor;
7. cloth or soft material that is used for making clothes, curtains, etc;
8. the way that something is done, built; the fashion, shape or design of something;
9. all the people in a family, group or country who were born at about the same time;
10. the style of dressing or behaving that is the most popular at a particular time;
11. an idea for attracting customers or persuading people to buy something;
12. what a person likes or prefers Read and learn the following words and word combinations from the text..
Find in the text the synonyms of the following words.
On the contrary –
To let –
To put on –
To show –
Find in the text the opposites of the following words.